Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Wrath Cinematic

By know I suspect that everyone and their mothers have seen the Wrath intro movie cinematic.
Currently there are two major opinions. One is that the cinematic is a piece of crap and is just for fan boys and lore lovers. The other is that the cinematic is amazingly detailed and does it justice.

I'm in the middle, more or less.

I think blizzard took an interesting turn in their intro movie development. In previous cinematics, blizzard has taken a path of showing the player the basic premise of the game and how much fun the player will have. From sheeping tauren, to fighting orcs with bears, to riding your raptor through new lands, to watching a blood elf chick suck the ever living mana out of a wyrm, blizzard has not failed to show us top notch quality in their cinematics. However, Wrath takes a different approach. They went completely and totally for lore and the story behind the expansion.

This is great in some ways and horrible in others. For one, in sets up such a lore rich story that the current players can't help but get excited. But for the newer player who just joined the WoW bandwagon or is going to come WotLK, it will leave them scratching their heads in confusion and asking questions. Not that blizzard needs the new subscribers.

For me, the lore/story based approach is so much more exciting. The main focus of BC was illidan. "Ooh he's such a BAMF! You have to go kill him for epixxx!"... So where the hell is he? for a t4/t5 level player, I've never seen one glimpse of him. Sure I've seen all the factions and supporting roles that lead UP to him, but I've never actually seen his amazing-ness. I have the feeling that Wrath will be much more interactive with the story. I'm hoping that all the factions actually play into the main story, and not just the battle at the portal.

I havn't been a lore junkie in the past, but this cinematic has pushed me to read up on past events. You get my Kudos, Blizz.

No comments: